Biography and Background
James Holtzclaw is a Veteran, husband, father, small business owner, and dedicated public servant. Born to a working-class family, his father, James Sr., worked as a handyman and his mother, Betty, worked in a nursing home. From a young age, James felt the calling to serve his country.
At 18, James enlisted in the United States Air Force. Throughout his service to our country, James learned the importance of hard work, determination, and a strong work ethic. He became the first member of his family to attain a college degree, graduating from George Fox University. James served our armed forces for 10 years and completed four overseas tours where he was awarded distinguished medals and commendations, including Outstanding Airman of the Year, National Defense Medal, and Outstanding Unit with Valor medal.
In 1995 James was transferred to Mountain Home Air Force Base, decided to put down roots, and has called Idaho home ever since. James has been serving our community in Meridian as a small business owner, real estate agent, and property manager for over 20 years. From that vantage point, he has seen the impact of government on our families, business, and communities – and understands the need for comprehensive action on infrastructure, public safety, and education to help Idaho thrive. James is active in our community and has volunteered for multiple local non-profits, including food banks, the Suicide Prevention Hotline, American Legion, and Big Brothers Big Sisters.
In 2012 James continued to answer the call to serve and decided to run for the Idaho House of Representatives. He is now Chairman of Commerce & Human Resources and sits on the Transportation & Defense, State Affairs Committee, Justice Reinvestment, and Veterans affairs committees. During his time in the legislature, James has fought continuously to lower taxes, preserve individual freedoms, and reduce government waste.
What James has done for District 20
● Protected the constitution by upholding Idahoans’ 2nd amendment rights.
● Protected the rights of the unborn.
● Supported infrastructure and transportation investments.
● Fought for parental rights in schools and libraries.
● Supported Career Technical Education investments.
● Fought for school choice.
● Supported legislation to declare all jobs essential.
● Protected our freedom to worship.
● Supported keeping Government out of our personal medical decisions.
● Supported veteran and law enforcement budgets.
● Voted to protect Idahoans rights to in-person voting.
● Fought diligently for the rights of homeowners against HOAs.