Biography and Background
Clay Handy, a fourth-generation Idahoan and Cassia County resident, has announced his candidacy for 2022 Idaho House of Representatives District 27, serving Cassia, Minidoka and Oneida Counties.
Clay believes in common sense conservatism that cuts through the extremism and division that defines politics today. He is passionate about Idaho and the area where he has raised six kids with his wife Kristine Hansen of Burley, Idaho and turned the business his grandfather started in 1928 with two milk trucks into a multi-state trucking and wholesale company with 150 trucks and 180 employees. Having served more than 35 years in public service roles from County Commissioner to Chairman of the Cassia Regional Hospital Board, Clay has experience solving government problems with the sense of a businessman and inspiring groups to work together for a common good.
Clay has dedicated his life to family, faith and public service, first entering politics at the age of 28 on the Burley City Council, where he earned a reputation for remaining calm in times of crisis and helping resolve conflicts peacefully. Public health, economic development and transportation have been particular focuses of Clay’s public service career. He understands that nothing is more important than the wellbeing of our families and that strategic planning and development of infrastructure will smooth the path for growth.
Clay has proven to be a dynamic and influential leader and is confident in his ability to serve effectively in the Idaho House of Representatives. Above all, he has an abiding desire to give back to the community that has given him so much, not the least of which are sweet memories with his family hiking, skiing, fishing, river rafting in this beautiful land.
Political Experience and community service:
1. Burley City Council 8 years
2. Cassia County Commissioner for 8 years.
3. Cassia Regional Hospital Board for 13, chairman for 8 years. Currently chairman of the Cassia Regional Hospital Foundation.
4. Burley Area Development Association, chairman for 8 years
5. Idaho Trucking Association serving twice as president
6. Served on many transportation advisory boards in the state and region
7. Zions Bank Advisory Board
8. South Idaho Community Action Board 8 yrs. Current member of HEM board.